8.17.2004

Calligraphy for keeps

Today I was in for five-and-a-half hours of calligraphy, not the usual two. Last week my teacher said that if I was diligent, before the end of the term I would be able to finish a piece good enough to get his stamp and get mounted to take home. Put me on the fast track, so meant extra characters last week and this.

Only one more class, so he was pushing me to finish today. Did some practice in class, then on the good paper during Chinese Painting time. It's very hard getting some of them right where the strokes cross and weave in-and-out of each other. You mess up even a little and you corner yourself into making the whole thing look off.

On my good paper messed up on a few characters, so had to stay on after class to try again. This time he paused over some characters, but in the end said it was OK and gave me his stamp. He wants to see me do better though, so I'll try for more next week.

2 comments:

Will said...

Hey Laszlo! Great blog :) I read a couple of the entries, and it's a great window into what Taiwan is like these days. Btw, people take off their shoes in the computer lab? Good Luck on your calligraphy practicing! Looks like it was an amazing summer. Enjoy the last couple of weeks!!

Anonymous said...

Laz, how do I view all the photos? I love all of this stuff. What a great experience. jim sachs